Careers: Professional Development
Becoming a successful lawyer requires more than mastering technical skills and legal developments. You need to master practice development skills – how to strategize, network, communicate and cultivate relationships. Teaching these skills is part of our commitment to you.
Our Professional Development team is comprised of former practicing lawyers who are devoted full-time to associate development. Throughout the year, we offer substantive training sessions in many practice areas, including finance, restructuring, litigation and corporate. We also provide skills trainings on topics such as legal writing, financial analysis, trial training, and growing your professional network. In your fourth year, you will participate in our intensive business development coaching program focused on internal and external marketing skills, building relationships and leveraging your network.
Of course, there is no substitute for hands-on learning. You will work directly with partners and clients on novel, difficult issues – no busy work or library exiles. Associate Development and Training Managers (ADMs), former practicing lawyers, staff associates on new matters after considering each associate’s workload, experience level, areas of interest and development goals. Your ADM will monitor your assignments to make sure you get the experience you need to progress toward partnership.
Some highlights of our professional development program are:
- Substantive legal training opportunities, all year round
- A Partner Advisor for each associate
- An Associate Advisor for each associate in his/her first year at the Firm
- Associate Development and Training Managers who identify opportunities for development, address deficiencies and help you advance
- A robust business development training program for mid-level and senior associates
- Frequent, direct partner contact
- A formal evaluation each year, which includes attributed feedback from each lawyer who supervised your work and a summary indicating key strengths and focuses for development
- Real-time, actionable feedback throughout the year
- Transparent, well-defined benchmarks for advancement