Paul F. Enzinna
Paul F. Enzinna
White Collar Defense &
Paul F. Enzinna
White Collar Defense &
For more than 20 years, Paul Enzinna has defended individuals and corporations in white collar criminal investigations and trials, conducted internal corporate investigations, and represented some of the world’s largest corporations in complex civil litigation and arbitration. In 2002, he was awarded the R. Kenneth Mundy Lawyer of the Year Memorial Award by the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, District of Columbia Chapter.
Paul has represented clients in matters involving charges of violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and export control regulations, bribery, fraud, money laundering, false statements, antitrust, RICO, embezzlement, obstruction of justice, and other white collar crimes. His civil practice includes representation in commercial disputes, securities fraud, First Amendment/media issues, RICO, employment discrimination, antitrust, government contracting, and other complex litigation.
Paul has represented several death penalty defendants, and as a founding board member of the Mid-Atlantic Innocence Project, he obtained DNA testing that cleared a Virginia man of a 1982 rape, leading to the first full pardon granted under Virginia's post-conviction DNA testing statute.
After graduating from law school, Paul served as a law clerk to the Honorable J. Harvie Wilkinson III of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. Paul has served as an instructor for the National Institute for Trial Advocacy, and an adjunct professor at American University’s Washington College of Law and the George Washington University Law School.
- Lone Star Partners – Represented private equity firm in defense of criminal charges brought by prosecutors in South Korea.
- Lone Star Partners and Korea Exchange Bank – Represented private equity fund and Korean bank in international arbitration of claims of breach of contract and fraud.
- Drummond Coal Co. – Successful trial defense against claims under the Alien Tort Statute and Torture Victims Protection Act arising from the assassination of union leaders by Colombian paramilitaries.
- Represented European telecommunications company in investigation of potential FCPA violations in Eastern Europe.
- Represented oil services company in investigation of potential FCPA violations in Central Asia.
- Represented industrial equipment manufacturer in investigation of potential FCPA violations.
- Represented manufacturer of broadband, satellite and wireless communications products in investigation of potential FCPA violations.
- Conducted internal investigation for subsidiary of Fortune 500 corporation regarding possible violations of U.S. export controls, negotiating resolution of case with United States Attorney’s Office and Department of Commerce.
- Represented industrial valve dealer in investigation of potential violations of Iran embargo.
- Liberty Media Corp. – Represented plaintiff in international securities fraud litigation.
- Discovery Communications, Inc. – Defense against claims of racial discrimination by a retail outlet.
- National Public Radio – Defense against claims of employment discrimination.
- Capital Cities/ABC – Trial counsel in defense against a claim of fraud in connection with an undercover investigation.
- International construction corporation – Lead counsel in a criminal investigation into alleged price-fixing on USAID contracts.
- Obtained acquittal, after month-long trial, for sitting state court judge charged with money laundering.
- Defended a number of health care fraud cases, including a hospital management company, an ambulance company and, most recently, an orthopedist, in defending against allegations of Medicare fraud.
PUBLICATIONS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Co-author, "Defining Compliance After Wal-Mart And Morgan Stanley", Law360, July 31, 2012
- Co-author, "First Appellate Decision Outlines Elements of Economic Espionage Act," Financial Fraud Law Report, May 2012
- Co-author, "An In-House Counsel Corporate Corruption Playbook," Corporate Counsel, April 26, 2012
- "Global Anti-Corruption Efforts," Law Firm Network 23rd Annual Conference, Bangalore, India, March 2012
- "Responding to Government Investigations," Department of Energy Contractor Attorneys Association, Washington, DC, October 2011
- "A Brave New World Of Electronic Surveillance In White-Collar Investigations?", Westlaw White-Collar Crime Journal, June 2011
- "Recent Developments Under the Alien Tort Statute and Torture Victims Protection Act," Texas State Bar, March 2010
- "The Alien Tort Claims Act: A New Twist On An Old Law," Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation International Mining & Oil and Gas Law, Development & Investment Conference, Buenos Aires, Argentina, April 2009
- "Lethal Injection Claims," NLADA in the Balance Conference, New York City Bar, March 2006
- "Alien Tort Claims and Related Litigation," Center for American and International Law, Institute for Energy Law, Houston, February 2006
- Speech at the Iranian-American National Convention for Democratic Change in Iran, Washington, D.C., April 2005
- Keynote speech, 16th Annual Virginia Public Defender Conference, Williamsburg, March 2004
- "Using DNA to Protect the Innocent," NAACP National Convention, Miami, 2003
- "An E-Mail Top Ten: Five Reasons to Worry and Five Ways to Sleep at Night," ALI-ABA's Practice Checklist Manual on Advocacy, Summer 2001
- "Wiretapping and Newsgathering: Criminal and Civil Liability for the Press," Communications Lawyer, Summer 1999
- "Restrictions on the Release of Government Information," Public Contract Law Journal, 1991 (Jamie S. Gorelick, co-author)
- Commissioner, Maryland State Commission on Criminal Sentencing Policy
- Mid-Atlantic Innocence Project, Board of Directors
- Adjunct Professor, George Washington University School of Law, American University Washington College of Law
AWARDS & HONORS
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, District of Columbia Chapter, R. Kenneth Mundy Lawyer of the Year Memorial Award, 2002
- District of Columbia
- US Supreme Court
- US Courts of Appeals for the Fourth, Fifth, and District of Columbia Circuits
- US District Court for the District of Columbia