Litigation & Arbitration
Litigation & Arbitration
Steven Friel has extensive experience in handling complex disputes, often with an international dimension. He has represented clients across a broad range of commercial, industrial and governmental sectors, and has particular experience in finance, insurance and disputes involving complex technology. His recent work includes acting for bondholders and shareholders in disputes arising out of the restructuring of a number of Irish banks.
Steven’s expertise in commercial litigation has been recognized by the Legal 500, which praises him as having "the sort of knowledge that one only gets with years of accumulated experience in heavy or complex litigation." For his work in international arbitration, the Legal 500 ranks Steven as "outstanding."
A solicitor-advocate, Steven has appeared before a number of English civil and criminal courts, including the High Court and Court of Appeal, and international tribunals in The Hague and elsewhere in Europe and North America.
Prior to joining Brown Rudnick, Steven was a partner in the London office of Davies Arnold Cooper. Prior to that, he practiced from the London and New York offices of Debevoise & Plimpton.
- Acted for bondholders and shareholders in disputes arising out of the restructuring of Anglo Irish Bank, Allied Irish Bank, Bank of Ireland and Irish Life & Permanent.
- Acted a number of parties in ISDA-related disputes, often acting against major international banks.
- Represented the German bank Bayerische Hypo- und Vereinsbank AG in High Court litigation against Bank of America.
- Acted for Italian investors in a multi-jurisdictional dispute with Royal Bank of Scotland.
- Represented a European public authority on disputes related to a €1.6 bn bond issue.
- Acted for a major insurance company in a a shareholder dispute with one of the UK's largest banks.
- Advised on international arbitrations involving jurisdictions across the globe, including Spain, Canada, Kazakhstan, South Africa, Botswana, and the UK.
PUBLICATIONS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Steven is a regular contributor to publications such as the New Law Journal and the International Arbitration Law Review, and a frequent speaker at events hosted by organizations such as the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
- Accredited Mediator
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- England and Wales
- Rights of audience in all English courts