Dylan P. Kletter
Dylan P. Kletter
Litigation & Arbitration
Dylan P. Kletter
Litigation & Arbitration
Dylan Kletter practices in the area of complex litigation. He represents individuals and entities across the country in state and federal court concerning a broad range of high stakes commercial litigation matters, including mergers and acquisitions, contract disputes, securities transactions, real estate disputes, environmental contamination, and bankruptcy proceedings. Dylan has extensive experience representing private equity firms, venture capital firms, family offices, and strategic acquirers, as well as their portfolio companies, in matters concerning failed mergers and acquisitions, securities fraud, breach of contract, indemnification claims, earn-outs, post-closing adjustments, escrow disputes, customer and supplier disputes, environmental issues, and responses to third party discovery. In addition, Dylan represents white-collar individuals in connection with criminal proceedings or government investigations and has extensive appellate experience in criminal appeals in the Connecticut appellate courts.
Prior to joining Brown Rudnick, Dylan served as a judicial clerk for Connecticut Supreme Court Justices Barry R. Schaller and C. Ian McLachlan, as well as the Honorable Christine E. Keller of the Hartford Superior Court. Dylan has also served as a legal intern to former Connecticut State Senator Jonathan Harris and as an appellate teaching assistant to attorney Wesley W. Horton.
During law school, Dylan received CALI awards in Criminal Law, Trial Advocacy and Appellate Advocacy. He also served as an officer on the Connecticut Law Review, the Moot Court Board, the Mock Trial Society and the Environmental Law Society. Prior to attending law school, Dylan worked with New York Times best-selling authors at International Creative Management talent agency in New York.
Private Equity / M&A / Portfolio Company Litigation:
- Representation of private equity firm in post-closing securities fraud and indemnification litigation against strategic engine manufacturer.
- Representation of private equity firm and its portfolio company against breach of contract and tortious interference claims following the divestiture of substantially all of the portfolio company’s assets.
- Representation of private equity firm in post-closing fraud and indemnification dispute against former financial sponsor of automotive portfolio company.
- Representation of private equity firm and its executives against fraud and breach of contract claims brought by financial purchaser arising out of the stock sale of a distribution-based portfolio company.
- Representation of private equity firm against employee class-action brought by the former employees of a portfolio company’s subsidiary.
- Representation of portfolio company against breach of contract claims brought by former customer.
- Representation of private equity firm in connection with post-closing dispute arising out of the stock sale of a technology-based portfolio company.
- Representation of private hospital in connection with contract dispute against private equity-sponsored portfolio company arising out of failed joint venture.
Commercial / Bankruptcy Litigation:
- Representation of court-appointed liquidators of Fairfield Sentry Limited, the largest feeder fund to Bernard L. Madoff Securities, in Chapter 15 proceedings.
- Representation of indenture trustee in Chapter 11 proceedings of the Tribune Company.
- Representation of private hospital concerning contract disputes and obtaining dismissal of wrongful death action.
- Representation of resources recovery agency in jury trial resulting in favorable judgment against plaintiff’s breach of contract claim.
- Representation of interstate natural gas line company in successful defense of breach of contract claim.
- Representation of artist in bench trial resulting in favorable judgment against defendant on bailment claim.
- Representation of pro bono clients in a variety of matters.
White Collar / Government Investigations / Criminal:
- Representation of former venture capital executive in multi-million dollar SEC securities fraud enforcement action.
- Representation of white collar defendant in embezzlement action arising out of failed business acquisition.
- Representation of companies and professional corporations in connection with state governmental investigations and audits.
- Representation of criminal defendants in habeas appeals in Connecticut appellate courts
MEDIA & PUBLICATIONS
- “Rare Win Shines Light on State Program,” Connecticut Law Tribune, October 7, 2013 (featuring attorney Kletter’s reversal of habeas court decision).
- “Appellate court grants immunity to nonprofit directors and officers,” Hartford Business Journal, Volume 21, Number 9, January 14, 2013.
- Co-editor, A Practical Guide to Connecticut Evidence, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 2013 (publication forthcoming); chapter co-author, “Introduction to Evidence - An Overview” and “Evidentiary Exclusions and Limitations”
- “Negligence in the (Thin) Air: Understanding the Legal Relationship Between Outfitters and Participants in High Risk Expeditions Through Analysis of the 1996 Mount Everest Tragedy,” University of Connecticut Law Review, 40 Conn. L. Rev. 769.
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers (2013 – 2015)
- Named a “New Leader in Law” by the Connecticut Law Tribune (2013)
- Association for Corporate Growth (ACG), Connecticut Chapter
- Member, Inns of Court (Hartford Chapter)
- Co-Chair, Business Law Section, Connecticut Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section
- Hartford Young Professionals and Entrepreneurs (HYPE)
- Office of the Connecticut Secretary of State, Neutral Election Day Observer
- West Hartford Clean Energy Task Force (former member)
- US District Court for the District of Connecticut
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit