Litigation & Arbitration
Litigation & Arbitration
Shivani Poddar is an associate in the International Disputes Department of Brown Rudnick’s New York office. Her experience includes complex commercial litigation, international commercial arbitration, investment treaty arbitration and bankruptcy litigation. Shivani frequently represents media companies, hedge funds and private equity firms, in a range of commercial disputes throughout the United States and internationally. Shivani has experience representing parties in proceedings under the arbitration rules of the International Chamber of Commerce (“ICC”), American Arbitration Association/International Centre for Dispute Resolution (“AAA”/“ICDR”), United Nations Committee on International Trade Law (“UNCITRAL”), International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (“ICSID”), and the International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (“CPR”). Shivani has also counseled official creditor committees, equity security holders and distressed note holders in matters involving bankruptcy and creditor’s rights, securities transactions, contract disputes, and commercial torts.
Prior to joining Brown Rudnick, Shivani held internships for the Department of Justice in the Office of International Affairs; the Honorable Joseph A. Greenaway Jr. in the District Court of New Jersey; Attorney General Eliot Spitzer in the Office of the New York State Attorney General; Senator Edward M. Kennedy; and Member of Parliament Paul Farrelly (London, United Kingdom).
While in law school, Shivani served as Note & Comment Editor of the American University International Law Review. Shivani was also on the Moot Court Honor Society, receiving honorable mention for a brief and proceeding as a finalist in the oral rounds in the Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot (Vienna, Austria).
Shivani is fluent in Hindi.
- Advising a cable broadcasting company based in the Middle East and North Africa in an ICC arbitration against a major satellite broadcaster, providing services in 22 countries, arising from television broadcasting rights worth over $1.3 billion.
- Represented a New York-based leading digital media provider in an ICDR arbitration in connection with the sale and acquisition of a company for $5 million.
- Counseled a Canadian private equity firm that actively manages distressed funds in an ICDR arbitration stemming from a contractual dispute.
- Advised a leading Indonesian infrastructure company in connection with an ad hoc arbitration under the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules in a shareholder dispute.
- Advised the official committee of unsecured creditors of a debtor-holding company, with interests in businesses in the Middle East and Europe, on dispute resolution procedures in various Bilateral Investment Treaties requiring ICSID arbitration.
- Represented the Liquidator of a Liquidation Trust in a CPR arbitration in connection with a professional malpractice claim.
- Counsel to the court-appointed Liquidators of Fairfield Sentry Limited, the largest feeder fund to Bernard L. Madoff Investments Securities, in cross-border insolvency proceedings based in the British Virgin Islands and in New York-based litigation matters.
- Advising the Trustee of the Creditors Trust and the Litigation Trust in a large fraudulent transfer action related to the LyondellBasell Chapter 11 case, stemming from a failed 2007 leveraged buyout.
PUBLICATIONS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Author, "Supreme Court of New York, December 12, 2012, Standard Chartered Bank v. Ahmad Hamad Al Gosaibi and Brothers Company," Brown Rudnick’s MENA Bulletin, Spring 2013
- Co-Author, “Arbitration in Abu Dhabi: recent developments,” Brown Rudnick’s MENA Bulletin, Fall 2013
- Moderator, “Forging the Way Towards a Career in International Arbitration: Where Many Roads Lead to Rome, New York, London, Paris and Hong Kong Too,” in a September 2013 New York arbitration program entitled 21st Century Arbitration hosted by Brown Rudnick, the ICDR and the ICDR’s Young & International
- Editor, Brown Rudnick’s International Litigation & Arbitration Newsletter, Summer, 2013.
- Editor, Brown Rudnick’s Diversity Matters Newsletter, Summer and Fall 2013.
- Secretary, New York City Bar Arbitration Committee
- Pro Bono Honor Roll, Legal Services NYC
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution, Young & International
- London Court of Arbitration, Young International Arbitration Group
- International Chamber of Commerce, Young Arbitrators Forum
- United States Council for International Business, Young Arbitrators Forum
- AIJA, International Association of Young Lawyers
- Arbitral Women
- 85 Broads Global Women’s Network
- South Asian Bar Association of New York
- New York
- US District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York