Elizabeth A. Ritvo
Elizabeth A. Ritvo
Litigation & Arbitration
Elizabeth A. Ritvo
Litigation & Arbitration
Liz Ritvo has more than thirty years of broad experience in complex commercial litigation and also counsels and represents newspapers, television stations, publishers and other media in libel, invasion of privacy, access, First Amendment and copyright matters before state and federal trial and appellate courts. She has also served as an arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association for business and construction disputes.
- Successfully defended newspaper against defamation claim brought by Islamic Society of Boston against client newspaper and others.
- Successfully defended non-party newspaper’s assertion of privilege in litigation brought by libel plaintiff against insurer.
- Successfully defended television station in defamation claim brought by father who was focus of nationwide manhunt after he disappeared with his daughter in custody dispute and was subject of television broadcast.
- Successfully defended newspaper in defamation case in which First Circuit adopted a favorable, in-depth analysis of the Massachusetts privilege for fair reports of governmental activity.
- Successfully sought public filing of discovery and unsealed other pleadings in church sexual abuse cases in Massachusetts state courts.
- Successfully represented newspaper in unsealing judicial records in a case in which Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts recognized that public right of access to judicial records in civil cases is substantially the same as the broad right of access to judicial records in criminal cases.
- Successfully defended newspaper in invasion of privacy case in which Massachusetts Appeals Court recognized that the media are privileged against claims for invasion of privacy when a publication falls within a broad category of “matters of public concern.”
- Successfully represented newspaper in matter involving access to hospital arraignment in which Supreme Judicial Court recognized that the public right of access to judicial proceedings was the same, whether proceedings were held in traditional courtroom or in non-traditional settings.
- Successfully defended newspaper in defamation case in which Supreme Judicial Court affirmed summary judgment in favor of newspaper where public official plaintiff failed to establish actual malice.
- Co-author, Survey of First Circuit Privacy and Related Claims Against the Media, Media Law Resource Center 50-state Survey, Media Privacy and Related Law (2004-2012)
- Co-author, “Survey of Massachusetts Employment Privacy,” Media Law Resource Center 50-state survey, Employment Privacy and Libel Law (2003-2012)
- Co-author, "Grantmaking in a Down Economy: Thoughts from the Boston Bar Foundation," Boston Bar Journal, Winter 2012
- Co-author, Massachusetts Broadcasters Association Legal Update, June 2009
- Co-author, "Online Syndication of User-Generated Content Under the Communications Decency Act," Media Law Resource Center Bulletin, May 2008
- Co-author, "Online Forums and Chat Rooms in Defamation Actions," Communications Lawyer (ABA Forum on Communications Law), Summer 2006
- Co-author, "Fair Report Privilege: First Circuit Extends Privilege to Police Chief Interview," Boston Bar Journal, September/October 2003
- Co-author, “Recognition of Foreign Judgments in the United States,” Media Law Quarterly, Fall 2003
- Co-author, Massachusetts section published in The Reporters’ Committee for Freedom of the Press,“Reporter’s Privilege Compendium”, Summer 2002
- Co-author, Massachusetts Chapter, International Execution Against Judgment Debtors (Oceana Publications)
- Author of various articles concerning current media law matters
Liz regularly speaks on media law and First Amendment matters.
- Panelist, “Fighting for Public Access,” Investigative Reporters and Editors, June 2012
- Panelist, "Freedom of Information Act," New England First Amendment Institute, November 2011
- Moderator, “Advertising Law: Trends and New Developments,” Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, June 2011
- Panelist, "Developing Effective Corporate Social Media Policies" panel, Social Media Law Seminar, Law Seminars International, March 2011
- Panelist, "Developments Relating to Online Publicity and Defamation Concerns" panel, Copyright, Privacy and Defamation in Cyberspace Seminar, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, February 2011
- Panelist, “Content Liability,” Boston Bar Association Continuing Legal Education, June 2010
- Panelist, “What In-House Counsel Need to Know in Troubled Times,” Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, June 2009
- Facilitator, “Content Gathering,” Media Law Conference, Media Law Resource Center, September 2008
- Speaker, “Advertising and Promotions: Rules and Regulations Every Massachusetts Broadcaster Needs to Know,” Massachusetts Broadcasters Association Conference, June 2008
- Faculty, Media Advocacy Workshop, American Bar Association Forum on Communications Law, February 2007
- Facilitator, “Newsgathering: Access, Subpoenas and Related Matters,” Media Law Conference, Media Law Resource Center, September 2004
- Speaker, New England Press Association Annual Conference: “HIPAA” (2004); “Is Your Newsroom Secure?” (2003); “Libel and Invasion of Privacy” (2002); “Internet Law and the Media” (2001); “Covering the Courts” (2000); “Invasion of Privacy” (1996); “Legal Issues in Advertising” (1992)
- Speaker, “Pro Se: Managing Cases with Self-Represented Parties,” American Arbitration Association Neutrals Training Conference, January 2003 and August 2003
- Panelist, “Privacy Security and Liability on the Internet,” Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 1996
AWARDS & HONORS
- Listed in the 2009 – 2013 editions of Woodward/White Inc.'s The Best Lawyers in America in the specialty of First Amendment Law
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Media Law Resource Center: Board of Directors (2012); Executive Committee, Defense Counsel Section (2008 – present), President (2012); New Developments Committee, Co-chair (2005 – 2007), Member (2002 – 2008); Member, Model Shield Law Committee, (2006 – Present)
- American Bar Association Forum on Communications Law: Co-chair, Women in Communications Law (2004 – 2006); Member (1998 – present); Diversity Moot Court Competition Committee Member (2009 – present)
- New England First Amendment Coalition: Board Member (2011 – present)
- New England Center for Investigative Reporting, Advisory Board Member (2012 – present)
- Boston Bar Association Task Force on Confidential Settlement Agreements: Member (2002 – 2004)
- Boston Bar Foundation Grants Committee: Co-chair (2011 – present); Member, (1999 – present)
- Brown Rudnick Charitable Foundation: Trustee (2002 – 2008)
- Women’s Bar Foundation of Massachusetts: President (1998 – 1999); Trustee (1994 – 1998)
- District of Columbia
- Virginia (Inactive)
- US District Courts for District of Massachusetts and District of Columbia
- US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- US District Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- US Supreme Court