Andrew P. Strehle
Andrew P. Strehle
Andrew P. Strehle
Andrew Strehle represents financial institutions, hedge funds, and borrowers in the documentation, structuring and recovery of commercial loans, structured finance transactions, taxable and tax-exempt bond financings, and other complex financings. He has appeared in U.S. Bankruptcy Courts and other courts across the country. Andrew’s experience includes structuring cross-border transactions and the representation of lenders, hedge funds and their portfolio companies in connection with problem credits and complex intercreditor relationships. Andrew has been recognized in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business since 2010 and is recognized by Woodward/White’s The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Banking and Finance Law.
- Counsel to Ad Hoc Committee of Minority Secured Lenders in 2012 bankruptcy case of Hawker-Beechcraft, Inc.
- Counsel to Trustee and Ad Hoc Committee of Senior Secured $260 million Bondholders in 2010-12 bankruptcy case of The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company (A+P grocery stores).
- Counsel to Tropicana Entertainment Inc. in $175 million term loan facility and $15 million letter of credit facility (2012).
- Counsel to Stanley Black & Decker, Inc. in $1.25 billion credit facility (2011).
- Counsel to Carl Icahn affiliates in the 2009 – 2010 Trump Entertainment Resorts bankruptcy cases (New Jersey), including nine-day contested confirmation trial involving competing plans of reorganization and cramdown of $500 million of secured debt.
- Counsel to PSW NYC, a joint venture of Pershing Square Capital Management and Winthrop Realty Trust, in connection with $300 million senior mezzanine position in Stuyvesant Town (2010).
- Counsel to Ashford Hospitality Finance in connection with $164 million junior mezzanine position in Extended Stay Hotels restructuring (2009 – 2010).
- Counsel to Wells Fargo as third lien agent in connection with Charter Communications bankruptcy (2009).
- Counsel to The Bank of New York Mellon and Carl Icahn affiliates in connection with successful challenge to 2008 tender offer by Realogy Corporation, including a Delaware Chancery Court ruling that the tender offer would not be permitted by the terms of the company’s debt facilities.
- Counsel to Ad Hoc Committee of Bondholders of the Cerro Negro heavy oil project in Venezuela, owned in a joint venture by subsidiaries of ExxonMobil, BP, and Petróleos de Venezuela, S.A. (PDVSA). Successful resolution included a tender offer in which 99.11% of bonds were sold by clients and other bondholders to PDVSA at a purchase price exceeding $500 million – equivalent to par, plus accrued interest, plus a significant premium. Recognized as “2008 Deal of the Year” by Latin Lawyer magazine.
- Majority lender’s counsel in bankruptcy restructuring of $1 billion loan to international telecommunications company.
- Counsel to lenders to the biotech and healthcare industries, including multiple loans to nursing homes, a syndicated construction loan for the development of a 1750-unit senior living facility in Hingham, Massachusetts, and a $500 million syndicated loan to an international biotechnology company.
- Counsel to a high-tech company as borrower under an asset-based loan facility with largest-ever Eximbank guaranty.
- Editor-in-Chief, Annual Review of Banking Law (Boston University School of Law)
- Author, “Teaching Old Laws New Tricks: The Prospect for Loan Participation Regulation”, Annual Review of Banking Law
- Co-Author, “The Bankruptcy Opportunity for Financially Troubled Biotechnology Companies”, The Journal of Biolaw and Business
- American Bankruptcy Institute: “Revised Article 9 of the UCC”
- Risk Management Association: “Legal Aspects of Lending” and “Loan Documentation”
- National Association of Credit Managers: “Uniform Commercial Code”
- Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education: “UCC Developments”
- Boston Bar Association: “Reasoned Legal Opinions”
- Serves as the Firm’s Administrative Partner, focusing on administrative and financial operations in working with the CEO in the management of the Firm.
- Chairs the Firm’s Pro Bono Committee. The Firm was recognized as the 2007 Corporate Philanthropy Partner of the Year by the Boston Business Journal.
- Represents, on a pro bono basis, artists seeking to recover unpaid fees for their works and services. Andrew's work with Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts of Massachusetts was recognized by its 2012 Robert B. Fraser Award for Pro Bono Excellence.
- President-Elect, Boston University School of Law Alumni Association (2012 – 2013)
- Past Co-Chair, Commercial Lending Subcommittee of the Boston Bar Association (2003 – 2005)
- Chair, Math Olympics Program (East Elementary School, Hingham, Massachusetts) (2011 – present)
- New York